The Masonic Grand Lodge of Texas is the oldest continuously-operated organization in the State of Texas. This Fraternal organization is based on a strong social purpose with members who have high moral standards and work to the benefit of others. Texas Masons first organized through the Grand Lodge of Louisiana in 1835 and later formed the Grand Lodge of the Republic of Texas in 1837, with Sam Houston presiding over the organizational meeting held in the Senate Chamber of the Republic in the city of Houston. Many Republic of Texas statesmen were active in the Fraternity.
The Masons relocated their Headquarters to Waco from Houston in the early 1900s. The current Masonic Grand Lodge of Texas is located in downtown Waco on Columbus Avenue in an imposing building with design elements on its front which include two stone bas-reliefs portraying the building of King Solomon’s Temple created by world-renown sculptor, Raoul Josset. Its interior includes the business offices of the Masonic Grand Lodge of Texas, two auditoriums with the seating capacity of 3,800 and 600 respectively, a library that is dedicated to Masonic and Texas history, and a Museum. The Museum is filled with diverse exhibits ranging from a 4,000 year-old terracotta cone from Ur to a letter that has traveled to the Moon and back with Buzz Aldrin. Other exhibits include artifacts that describe Masonry, Texas History, military and the Holocaust with miscellaneous items mixed throughout the approximately 11,000 square foot area dedicated to the Museum.